February 1, 2010
6 Keys to Breaking the Poverty Mindset
It’s all in the mind, they say – and on some level, they’re absolutely correct. Habits formed in your mind have kept you from financial success in life – so […]
It’s all in the mind, they say – and on some level, they’re absolutely correct. Habits formed in your mind have kept you from financial success in life – so make this your time to start developing a healthy foundation for financial prosperity!
Do you have a poverty mindset? Take a look at these 6 quick tips from Dani Johnson to help you identify what a poverty mindset looks like – and how to break it once and for all!
1. Your Environment Is Everything
Dani grew up on welfare with parents who ran out of money continuously – then used what money they did have for drugs. There was abuse, no peace, no security. Growing up in that environment absolutely shapes one’s mind about money and life. There was no budgeting to help make their money last; they would blow it all on junk food, alcohol and drugs – then act like victims until the next check arrived. Change your environment – change your financial future.
2. Don’t Speak The Language Of Poverty
How many hours do we spend in school learning financial wisdom? Zero! So where do you learn your financial habits? From other adults, mainly your parents. If your parents spent foolishly, their actions taught you to spend foolishly. If your parents spent wisely, you would gravitate towards wisdom in finances. Dani grew up with the language of poverty that sounds like “we can’t afford it,” or “we don’t have the money” or “that’s for rich people, not us.” All those statements are victimized, poverty statements. Change your language, and you change your financial future.
3. Eliminate Unhealthy Financial Traditions
Unhealthy traditions pass from one generation to the next. If you are serious about breaking yours, you can succeed. How?
- Make a decision: Do you like where you are financially? Are you tired of the pressure of debt? If so, decide today to do whatever it takes to achieve financial independence.
- Learn some new skills to replace the poor skills you learned from those around you.
- Repetition is the mother of skill. Through repetition you learned poor financial skills; through repetition you will learn great financial skills. Beware who you learn from. You should learn from someone who has a lot of money – not just someone who looks the part. Most people are far from reaching their goal of financial independence.
Change your traditions, and you change your financial future.
4. Understand The Power Of Repetition
We learned how to walk, talk and eat by watching those around us. Everything we know how to do, we learned – or were at least were influenced by those around us. Have you ever said, “I will never be like…” or swore to do things differently from your parents, only to find yourself saying and doing those exact things? History repeats itself! Decisions made without establishing new skills will lead to failure of the decisions becoming a reality. Change your habits, and you change your financial future.
5. A Solid Financial Foundation Starts Early
Your children are always listening and watching, whether you realize it or not. Groom them for success instead of unintentionally grooming them for failure. Their success will come from you. Grooming the Next Generation for Success will help you teach kids to succeed now and in the future. When they learn while young, success becomes a part of their very fiber instead of hoping they will succeed they will be groomed to succeed!
Help someone else succeed, and you change your financial future.
6. Take Action!
If you’ve gotten this far, know that you have been chosen to prevent those negative traditions from passing through you. Solomon, the richest man who ever lived, said: “A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.” Don’t be stupid! If thousands of Dani’s clients can follow her teachings and experience financial success, so can you. Don’t let this be another article you read and put away. Take action today. Start learning the difference between wise and foolish spending. Learn how to create assets instead of liabilities.
Dani Johnson will help you in 3 Key Skill Areas concerning money:
- How to make it (most know how to do this) – see Unlimited Success for more help in this area.
- How to keep it (very few today know how to do that) – see War On Debt for more help in this area.
- How to make it your slave instead of you being a slave to it (even fewer know how to do that) – see First Steps To Success for more help in this area.
Money is looking for a place to go. If you don’t direct it toward something wise – not another pair of black shoes or more toys and tools – money gets sucked up into thin air. Poof! Now is the time to step up to the plate, leave bad financial failures and habits behind and hit the home run for our kids’ futures.
Take action right now, and you change your financial future – forever.
Dani Johnson was the featured guest millionaire on ABC’s second season premiere of “Secret Millionaire,” and has recently made guest appearances on “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” “The View” and “Good Morning America.” And Dani knows what she speaks of: Raised on welfare, pregnant at 17 and homeless at 21, Dani became a millionaire at 23 – and knows what it is to start from the bottom, overcome adversity and rise to the top. So set aside a little time, and plug into her teachings – they’re a prime opportunity for you and your team to learn how to duplicate her success in your life.