Today I want to talk to you about leadership. There is a lot of talk out there about becoming a leader, and it seems like there is leadership training everywhere you look. It’s one thing to be a leader, yourself. But that can only get you so far…
The truth is, success is not the result of individual ideas or efforts. Success in a company or family requires leadership that develops other leaders.
What do you think of when you hear the word "leadership"? If you’re like most people, you think of the head honcho, the managers, the top executives, the man of the house, the people in control.
But the fact of the matter is that you can position yourself as a leader, regardless of your job or position. If you’ve been around me for any length of time, you’ve probably heard me say that it’s never your circumstance that determines your success in life, but rather how you deal with your circumstance. In the same way, it’s never your position that determines your leadership; it’s how you choose to lead in your position.
If you do not develop your leadership skills, you will not grow to higher levels in the company and you will not experience bigger success.
So how can you develop your own leadership skills and become a leader right where you are?
- Take ownership. Make it your job to make sure your team, your department, your family, or your company succeeds.
- Set the tone of the organization with your attitude and your performance. Go the extra mile. Stay teachable. Work with diligence and excellence. Become a problem solver. Develop relationships with people in the company, including clients and co-workers.
- Be an advocate for the team. Stand behind your people. Push your team towards their goals. Pull the best out of your people.
- Realize that you are on the same team. You may have different positions and different jobs, but you are all working together towards a common cause, and that is to help the company or family to succeed.
At the same time you are working on yourself and improving your own leadership skills, it is important for you to also focus on creating leaders. Because it’s not just about you getting to the top. It’s about your people getting to the top. It’s about creating leaders, from the top executives all the way down to the very bottom of the organization.
Dominate the job market, control your future
Landing and keeping a job in today’s job market can be tough. That’s why it’s important to immunize yourself from the economy. Never again will you worry about layoffs or being passed up for a promotion. You will dominate the job market today! Here’s how.
My friend, it takes a high level of leadership, communication, and people skills to actually create leaders.
So today, focus on getting results and helping other people get results. Ask yourself, "Who can I help to succeed?" When you make that your focus, you will create a team of powerful leaders in no time!
So right now, I want you to evaluate your leadership by answering the following questions:
- Are you creating followers? (This creates dependency and people who cannot stand on their own. If you are not there to lead them, nothing gets done. The success of the company depends on the leader.)
- Are you creating leaders? (This is the next step. You are creating a team of leaders around you who can carry the organization.)
- Are your leaders creating leaders? (This is duplication. This is what you are aiming for. Your leaders create leaders who create leaders, and so on. This creates a team who is literally unstoppable.)
I know we covered a lot of ground today, but I know this is going to help you create an unstoppable team of leaders.
If you want to get your entire team on the same page, working towards becoming exceptional leaders who will increase bottom-line profits, raise company morale, and bring harmony into the workplace, this would be a great place to start.
Also, you’ll want to go ahead and forward this message to the rest of your team. Imagine if each person in your company could read this for themselves and implement the leadership strategies I shared today. You think it might change your work environment a little? I wouldn’t be surprised if it got you a raise, either…
Anyway, I can’t wait to hear your feedback about today’s letter. Please let me know how you will take this into your workplace today. And until next time, God bless!
In great faith,